What Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Do?
Over 30 years of experience. Over $100 million recovered for clients.
What does a workers’ compensation lawyer do?
A New Jersey workers’ compensation lawyer helps injured workers get workers’ compensation benefits. While every case is different, a few of the things that an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer will do include:
Gather evidence of an injured worker’s claim
This includes obtaining work and medical records, as well as meeting with any witnesses. In some cases, an injured worker will need to be seen by another physician to get an expert opinion about their injuries and treatment outcomes. A workers’ compensation lawyer will have a network of physicians that can help create a successful claim.
Negotiate a settlement award
In the majority of cases, workers’ compensation benefits are paid by an insurance company. By working with an experienced New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney, injured workers can rest at ease, knowing that their claim is in good hands and that their attorney will work to get them the best settlement.
Appear at a workers’ compensation hearing
If an injured worker cannot reach a settlement agreement with their employer of the insurance company, the court will conduct a hearing to determine whether they are entitled to benefits. At the hearing, your workers’ compensation lawyer will call witnesses, if necessary, to establish the validity of your injured worker’s claim. Your attorney can also be of great assistance in cross-examining any witnesses called by the insurance company.
Look into other potential claims
A workers’ compensation claim is one way an injured worker can obtain compensation after a New Jersey workplace accident. The other way is through a third-party personal injury claim. These claims can be filed against a non-employer third party who was responsible for the worker’s injuries. Looking into third-party injury claims is important, as these can provide workers with additional damages, including those for their pain and suffering.
While there is no legal requirement to obtain a workers’ compensation attorney, most injured workers find that having a lawyer makes this complex process much easier. A lawyer can also increase your chances of getting a larger benefit amount more quickly.
Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:
- Am I Allowed to Choose My Doctors For My Workplace Injury in New Jersey?
- Am I Eligible For Workers’ Compensation If I Am Hurt While Working From Home in New Jersey?
- Are Longshore Workers Eligible For Workers’ Compensation in New Jersey?
- Are Minors Entitled to Workers’ Compensation Benefits?
- Are Minors Injured in a Work-Related Accident Eligible to Receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits in New Jersey?
- Are Workers’ Compensation Benefits Taxable?
- Can A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Help Me Obtain Benefits and A Settlement Award?
- Can I Reopen My Workers’ Compensation Case?
- Do I Need A Doctor’s Approval to Return to Work?
- How Does a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Get Paid If the Injured Worker Is Totally Disabled in New Jersey?
- How Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Get Paid?
- How Much Do Workers’ Compensation Lawyers charge in New Jersey?
- How Much Does a Lawyer Make Off of a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
- How Much Does a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Charge in New Jersey?
- I Was Terminated While Out of Work Due to an On-the Job Injury; What Are My Rights?
- If My Spouse or Parent Dies Due to a Work-Related Injury or Illness in New Jersey, Am I Entitled to Any Death Benefits?
- Is My Injury Considered A Permanent Partial Disability?
- Since I Cannot Perform the Job I Did Before the Injury, Can I Return to Work in a Different Capacity, and How Would That Impact Future Compensation?
- The Workers’ Compensation Doctor Has Released Me For Light Duty Work, But My Employer Told Ne There Is No Light Duty Work Available. What Should I Do?
- What Do I Do If I Get into a New Jersey Car Accident While Working?
- What Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Do For You?
- What Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Do?
- What Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Need to Know?
- What Does AWW Mean Under Workers’ Comp? (Average Weekly Wage)
- What Does FCE Mean Under Workers’ Comp? (Functional Capacity Evaluation)
- What Does IME Mean in Workers’ Comp? (Independent Medical Examination)
- What Does MMI Mean in Workers’ Comp? (Maximum Medical Improvement)
- What Does PPD Mean in Workers’ Comp? (Permanent Partial Disability)
- What Does TTD Mean in Workers’ Comp? (Temporary Total Disability)
- What Happens When Using A Lawyer For A Workers’ Compensation Claim?
- What Happens When You Get A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
- What Is A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
- What Kind of Information Does A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Need From You?
- What Should I Do If My Employer Refuses to Open Up a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
- What To Do If Your Employer Will Not Report Your New Jersey Accident to the Workers’ Compensation Carrier?
- What to Expect in Your Free Consultation with a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
- What Type of Documents Do I Need to Sign to Allow My Workers’ Compensation Lawyer to Accept My Settlement?
- What Will A New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Attorney Do For Me?
- What Workers’ Comp Benefits Can I Receive If I’m Unable to Work or Return to Work?
- When Do I Need A New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
- When Do Workers’ Compensation Payments Stop?
- When To Get A Lawyer For TBI Workers’ Compensation?
- When To Get A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
- While I Was Out of Work as a Result of a Work-Related Injury My Employer Terminated Me. Is This Legal?
- Why Do I Need a Lawyer to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
- Why Do I Need A Lawyer to File For New Jersey Workers’ Compensation?
- Why Should I Have A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
A proven track record of success
Request a Free Consultation
Being injured or having a family member injured can have serious and lifelong consequences. We can try to ease the burden. Contact us today to learn more about how our team of experienced New Jersey accident attorneys can support you through these challenging times.