New Jersey Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Many people ride bicycles as a form of transportation or for recreation. There are rules and regulations in New Jersey to protect bicyclists from collisions with cars, but each year thousands of people become seriously injured or are killed from collisions with cars or from single rider accidents caused by unsafe roadways.
Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries and even death. Even if proper safety gear is worn, accident victims can sustain brain injuries, neck, and spinal cord damage. Riders could also receive serious road rash, broken bones, and fractures. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible for compensation. The New Jersey bicycle accident attorneys at the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm are able to help you understand your legal options.
Have You Been in a Bike Accident?
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 818 bicyclists killed and an additional 45,000 injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2015. The total cost of bicyclist injury and death is over $4 billion per year according to the National Safety Council. The majority of cyclists’ deaths occurred between the hours of 4 p.m. and 7:59 p.m. Sadly, many of these deaths and injuries could be prevented by drivers being attentive to the road.
What to do after a bicycle accident
There are certain actions you should take following a bicycle accident, including:
- Report your bicycle accident to the police immediately if you were injured.
- If you are injured, you should seek immediate medical care.
- Obtain information from the driver, including their full name, address, and license plate number, and identify the driver’s insurance company and insurance policy number.
- Obtain information from any witnesses at the scene, including their full names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, the other driver’s car, and your bicycle. If you are not available, have a family member or friend take the photographs.
- If your bicycle was damaged or destroyed, get an estimate on the cost of fixing it.
After the accident, you may be hurt or emotionally shaken. It may be difficult to assess your situation under those circumstances, but being as detailed as you are able can help you build the body of evidence you may need moving forward.
Important Safety Tips
Because of the dangers associated with bicycle accidents, cyclists should take extra measures to stay safe on the road. These measures include:
- Always wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet.
- Obey the rules of the road at all times, including traffic signs and lane markings.
- Be aware of your surroundings, including obstructed views.
- Never assume a driver will yield to you.
At the same time, drivers need to exercise caution when sharing the road with cyclists.
New Jersey Bicycle Injury Lawyers Establish Liability
Bike accident injuries are serious injuries that require the representation of a dedicated and highly experienced New Jersey bike accident lawyer who is prepared to fight to protect your rights and help you receive compensation for your accident.
Our New Jersey bicycle accident attorneys have extensive experience handling bicycle accidents. We will help you get your bills paid and immediately investigate the cause of your accident. We will obtain the police investigation, interview witnesses, and hire the appropriate experts to establish liability against the responsible driver.
Contact a New Jersey Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed because of another person’s negligence or wrongdoing, it is imperative that you contact the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm today and speak with our dedicated New Jersey bicycle accident injury lawyers. This time in your life can be stressful and you may be filled with worry and anxiety. We understand that medical bills are high and that insurance companies can act in bad faith. When you work with our Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, he will do his best to help you receive the financial compensation you need after your accident. Call us at for a free consultation.