May 11, 2020
What Are My Rights if I’m Injured On-the-Job by a Third Party in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, you are permitted to file a workers’ compensation case against your employer and file a third party lawsuit against those responsible for your accident. Examples of a third party claim when you are hurt while working include:
- You slip and fall on snow or ice while making a delivery to a customer’s business.
- You are driving a company vehicle and another vehicle rear-ends you while at a red light or runs a stop sign.
- You are injured by a defective piece of equipment while working.
- You are bitten by a dog while working.
The workers’ compensation statute requires that an employee who is hurt on the job must report the injury to their employer as soon as possible. Upon notice to your employer of the accident, you are entitled to three benefits. They are:
- All of your medical treatment and bills will be covered as long as you go to an authorized doctor
- While you are unable to work and healing, you will receive 70% of your wages up to a state maximum
- You are entitled to a “Permanency Award” – this applies to a functional loss or disability that is attributed to your on-the-job injury
Many work-related injuries are attributed to construction site accidents, slip and fall accidents, truck accidents, and car accidents, which often involve a third party or outside contractor. It is very important to seek the advice of a qualified and experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney to evaluate all potential claims.
Get a Free Case Evaluation from Our Team of Experienced New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Claims Lawyers
The Todd J. Leonard Law Firm has over 30 years of experience handling workers’ compensation claims, and all types of serious personal injury accidents, including wrongful death claims. Todd J. Leonard is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney, and has successfully handled all types of serious accidents, representing thousands of clients throughout New Jersey. Our attorneys will fight for your rights, which includes getting the medical treatment you need, any wages you are legally owed, and compensation for your injuries. Additionally, our team of trial lawyers will be in contact with your employer’s insurance carrier to ensure you receive timely authorization for your medical treatment, and when you can return to work, if at all.
There are strict time limitations to file your workers’ compensation claim and third party lawsuit. Please give us a call today at (973) 920-7900 to request a Free, Confidential Consultation. There is never a fee unless we obtain a recovery. We have offices conveniently located in Denville, Morristown, and Newark.