Parsippany Lyft Accident
Over 30 years of experience. Over $100 million recovered for clients.
Parsippany Lyft Accident Lawyers
In addition to offering a home to over 56,000 people, Parsippany also hosts thousands of visitors and commuters each day. These travelers come to attend school, visit for business, or enjoy themselves in Parsippany and surrounding communities. Many travel through the Morris County area by means of ridesharing services like Lyft.
Lyft is a convenient way to travel, but it can also expose riders to being involved in a serious car accident. If you’ve been injured in a Lyft accident, talk to an experienced Parsippany Lyft accident lawyer today. The Todd J. Leonard Law Firm is ready to help fight on your behalf for the compensation you deserve.
How Do Lyft Crashes Occur in Parsippany?
Lyft changed the way residents of New Jersey and other US states find rides. Lyft users can simply open an app on their smartphone, see the rides available in their area, and schedule one instantly. The app handles scheduling rides ahead of time, payments, and providing real-time updates for Lyft riders.
While Lyft passengers may believe they are safe and in good hands, this may not always be true. A Lyft driver can be involved in a serious accident due to their own negligence or the lack of duty from another driver on the road. As a Lyft driver, it’s important to pay close attention to the roads, especially in busy downtown areas. Crashes can occur on both major roadways and side streets. In the downtown areas, the risk of being involved in a pedestrian or bicycle crash also increases.
What Causes Parsippany Lyft Accidents?
In many cases, Lyft crashes in Parsippany result from negligence. If a Lyft driver doesn’t take due care while driving, they may crash into another vehicle, a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or a fixed object like a barrier or tree.
Lyft requires its drivers to be at least 21 years of age, pass a criminal background check, and possess a valid driver’s license. However, Lyft does not offer or require any additional driver training. As a result, Lyft drivers may engage in many of the same behaviors as other drivers – with the same consequences for negligence.
Examples of negligent driving include:
- Distracted Driving. The Lyft app controls many aspects of the ride and the driver’s work. The risk of Lyft drivers checking their phones instead of focusing on the road is thus higher than for many drivers.
- Speeding: Lyft drivers are paid for each ride they complete. Thus, the app incentivizes drivers to complete rides quickly, leading them to speed or drive recklessly.
- Fatigued Driving. Many Lyft drivers drive to make ends meet or to supplement their income from another job. The longer these drivers are on the road, the more tired they become and the more likely they are to make mistakes. Unlike commercial drivers, Lyft drivers are not required to follow rules about resting after several hours on the road.
- Drunk Driving. Like any other driver, a Lyft driver cannot drive as safely when impaired by alcohol or other substances.
In some cases, the Lyft driver isn’t the one who is negligent. Even a careful, attentive Lyft driver may suffer a crash, causing injury to those in the Lyft car, if someone else on the road fails to use the due care required to drive safely. Other drivers may be negligent as well, causing a crash.
Common Injuries in Parsippany Lyft Accidents
The first thing to do after a Parsippany Lyft crash is to seek medical attention. Even if you don’t feel seriously injured, have a doctor examine you to ensure there are no unusual or hidden injuries. Your medical records can also help you build a case for compensation.
Morris County statistics show that in 2020, 1,742 auto crashes resulted in injuries. Injuries in these accidents can range from minor bumps and bruises to catastrophic, life-altering harm. Common injuries in Lyft auto accidents may include:
- Cuts, bumps, scrapes, and bruises
- Neck strain or sprain, commonly known as whiplash
- Head trauma, including traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Bruises and lacerations
- Internal bleeding, organ damage, and other internal injuries
When a Lyft crash occurs, those inside the vehicle aren’t the only ones at risk. Drivers and passengers in other vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians may be involved in the crash as well and suffer serious injuries as a result.
When a Lyft Crash Happens, Who Pays?
New Jersey law requires Lyft drivers to carry certain minimum amounts of insurance coverage. This coverage applies in an auto accident to help cover the costs of the crash.
- When the driver is not using the Lyft app: If the driver is logged out of the app, the driver’s own auto insurance applies.
- When the driver is logged into Lyft and waiting for a ride request: Lyft’s insurance covers at least $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident in bodily injury costs, and $25,000 per accident for property damage.
- When the driver has accepted a request or has a passenger in the vehicle: Lyft’s combined insurance coverage offers $1.5 million in coverage for combined bodily injury and property damage, including uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This policy covers everyone inside the Lyft vehicle.
It’s easy to assume that having more insurance policies means more coverage. When more than one insurer is involved, however, a case can quickly become complex. Instead of working to cover more of your losses, insurance companies may work to pass responsibility to one another, delay your case, and leave you with mounting bills.
At the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm, we focus on figuring out who is responsible for the harm you’ve suffered. Then, we help you understand how insurance coverage works and fight for your right to compensation.
Compensation in Parsippany Lyft Accident Claims
In a car accident claim, compensation depends on the losses suffered by those involved in the crash. Speak to an experienced Parsippany Lyft accident lawyer for a full understanding of what your particular case is worth.
Damages are intended to cover losses you would not have experienced if the accident had never happened. Some of these losses, such as medical bills, can be extremely expensive.
Compensation is often available in Parsippany Lyft accident cases for losses like:
- Medical bills, including the costs of emergency care, surgeries, hospital stays, medical devices and medications, and follow-up care from doctors or specialized therapists.
- Lost wages if your injuries prevent you from working, either temporarily or permanently.
- Pain and suffering related to the crash, including the costs of treatment for anxiety, depression, or trauma symptoms in the aftermath of the accident.
To secure compensation, it is essential to file a Lyft accident claim within the deadlines set by New Jersey law. In New Jersey, auto accident cases must be filed within two years of the crash date. If the claim isn’t filed within two years, it cannot be heard in court.
This two-year deadline can arrive quickly. It’s important to speak to an experienced Parsippany Lyft accident lawyer as soon as possible. Even if you suspect the deadline has passed, talk to a lawyer to learn more about your options.
Why You Need A Parsippany Lyft Accident Attorney
Lyft is a for-profit business. To protect its bottom line, the company may try to deny you compensation or limit the damages you can recover after a crash. Instead of respecting the full extent of your injuries, Lyft’s legal team may try to offer a settlement that barely covers your most pressing bills.
Just because Lyft offers you a settlement does not mean you have to accept it. Instead, talk to a reputable Parsippany Lyft accident attorney. When Lyft must negotiate with your experienced lawyer, the company will likely take your claim more seriously. Your attorney will work to ensure that any settlement offer reflects all your losses, including potential future costs.
Whether your Lyft ride was a one-time occurrence or part of your daily routine, you expected the ride to be uneventful. What you got was a ride that was anything but. Now, you may be struggling to recover from serious injuries, worrying about how to pay the bills, and wondering if your life will ever be the same again.
If this sounds familiar, you’re not alone. Talk to the team at the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm today. Our dedicated Lyft accident lawyers are ready to help you obtain the compensation you need for your injuries. Reach out today to schedule a free, confidential case evaluation.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Rideshare Car Accident Lawyers for Immediate Assistance!
If you suffered a serious injury in a New Jersey Lyft or Uber accident, or sadly, lost a loved one in an Uber or Lyft accident, the dedicated Rideshare Accident Injury Lawyers at the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm are here to help. For more than 30 years, we have been helping clients who have been seriously injured in all types of accidents. We are a five-star rated law firm, recovering a total of more than $100 million on behalf of our clients. We will do our best to hold the negligent driver fully accountable for their actions and get you the justice you deserve. We recognize the challenges you face as a result of a serious motor vehicle crash and are uniquely positioned to protect your rights and help you through the recovery process. To learn more and to schedule a FREE consultation, give us a call today at 973-920-7900. You can also connect with us through our online form. There is never a fee unless we win your case. We have two conveniently located offices in Denville and Morristown, New Jersey.
A proven track record of success
Request a Free Consultation
Being injured or having a family member injured can have serious and lifelong consequences. We can try to ease the burden. Contact us today to learn more about how our team of experienced New Jersey accident attorneys can support you through these challenging times.