Injured in a Snow or Ice Accident on Commercial Property?
Posted on Thursday, February 20th, 2014
In the State of New Jersey, during the winter months, the ground is covered with significant amounts of snow and ice. Unfortunately, this can result in serious accidents, not only for those driving on the road, but for those performing everyday tasks, such as walking to work, or to your car.
Where do many of these accidents occur?
Running errands to the grocery store, walking through a parking lot to your doctor’s office or stopping by the mall can be become increasingly difficult if the ground is covered in snow or ice.
Most of these winter slip and fall accidents occur on commercial property, such as:
- Shopping malls
- Parking lots/decks
- Grocery stores
- Apartment building/complex
Who is liable in these snow and ice accidents?
Typically these commercial buildings and property have a snow plow company that is responsible for clearing their parking lots and walkways of snow and ice. Additionally, the commercial property owner is also responsible to make sure their own property is safe and that they should take reasonable steps to prevent injuries on their property.
Establishing liability against the snow Plow Company and commercial property owner:
- They did a poor job of clearing the walkways , parking lots and roads
- Their previous job clearing the snow and ice was poorly done, resulting in even worse conditions than before or not properly maintaining the property
- They improperly plowed the commercial property leaving large mounds of snow that can melt and refreeze or obscure motorists’ ability to property see where they are driving.
- They did not use the proper amount of sand or salt to get rid of the remaining ice or snow
- Improperly cleared gutters and drains causing run off onto driveways, walkways, and parking lots which then freeze
Contact Todd J. Leonard Law Firm now to protect your rights
Our New Jersey personal injury lawyers are dedicated to protecting your rights following all types of serious personal injury accidents including, slip and fall on snow and ice accidents. Todd Leonard is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. He has been included in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers® in 2011 and 2013. Attorney Todd Leonard is a Life Member of both the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum® for his work in recovering million dollar settlements for his clients. Call the Todd J. Leonard Law Firm at (973) 920-7900 today.